Reviewing plans is a key part of achieving success. I set up and wrote most of the early posts for P•C•S in Jika Jika in Bath when we were here at the end of November. Now, we are here again and it seems a fitting time to have a think about how things have been going.
In many ways it has been a success. One of my reasons for setting up yet another blog was to learn how to self publish on word press and I certainly feel I got to grips with that. I wanted to get back into regular blogging and writing and I also achieved that. I wanted people to read it and, to my amazement, you are doing!
…something feels wrong. When I did my research on WordPress I also did a lot of reading on How To Blog. And I applied some of that wisdom. Which might be very good advice for other people, particularly those seeking to blog for professional reasons but the result is that for me it has sucked some of the joy out of blogging and has made it a chore rather than the adhoc fun thing it should be for me given it has nothing to do with my career or money making. Plus when I set up P•C•S I was a touch at a loose end and wanting a project. Since then I signed a book contract, agreed to administer a project for SAQA, committed to producing big artworks for two different groups, started work on getting a wet studio built, agreed to shift postions at work to take on a commute and a different, more demanding type of work and applied for an internal teaching position on top. That took care of the loose ends for sure!
If one things shifts in life then everything else needs to be reviewed to enable you to maintain balance.
So I will be making some small changes to P•C•S in the near future. Namely,
- Blogging regularly but not to a set schedule. (I have been highly amused to read recently that two of the Blogger Gurus who were advocating how you must post several times a week have recently decided to go for ‘quality over quanity’. I read blogs as and when for fun so I am going to write as and when for fun. Not rocket science is it?! As part of that Salon Sunday will vanish but you can comment any time anyway.)
- Shorter posts or series of posts on a longer topic. ( I like to write books but here is not the place to practice! Plus, I am trying to get the hang of Twitter @plancreate so I can quickly forward good stuff I find elsewhere )
- More me and my life – a lighter feel overall with more fun stuff amongst the tips and advice. (Cue the occasional bout of stationery porn among the words!)
- Putting my filofax fetish stuff here rather than on Down The Well which I will keep more textile artist related. (Sort of. My life tends to be hard to categorise)
- Probably a different theme. I like this one but its demanding to adminster!(And I am betting most of you read in an aggregator anyway and never even see the theme!)
- Finally (finally) get a blog roll going.
So, I hope you will like the changes and will tell me what you think.